Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Part 7

The next day, as expected, I got up late. My head was still unclear on the course of events of the previous night. My hand went up to the cell phone lying next to me and found it was past 11. I also noticed it was showing 7 unread text messages. While I yawned to control my laziness, my fingers played on the keys and open the texts so I could read them one by one. 4 were from Janet and 3 were from other friends. They were all saying the same thing; was I an animal to sleep so late? Well, I didn’t want to share my reasons just yet!
I got ready quick. After having a late but well deserved lunch I called up Janet. She was at work and busy and I will have to wait for her call. After hanging up, I was thinking what to do with my time and I realized I could still meet up my other friends and pass the time. I called them.
All of them were disappointed with me. We met up in my preferred coffee shop. Having ordered all around, they proceeded to abuse me with all the imaginative words they could find in the English vernacular. It was interesting to note that we, as human beings, are better primed to abuse others faster than appreciating the little things in life. Don’t fret my friend; I am also one of them.
They were pissed at me for having ignored them the previous night. I told them the truth; that I met someone and went out on a date. The look that I got must have melted butter into a river. I confessed in an undertone which they knew was an act, but eventually they relaxed and enquired about Janet. I told them a few basic things; it helped in prolonging the apprehension of the circumstances. The enthusiasm with which they listened was logical and then we continued onto other subjects.
In the evening I received a call from Janet. She was free and was ready to meet up. We met up at the place I was in and then decided to have dinner at a small restaurant, which was on the rooftop of a high-rise hotel in the centre of the city. Upon arrival and order of drinks, she kept a continuous smile. She was dressed in a neat and professional manner. A beautiful feminine white shirt, tucked into faded blue low waist jeans.
I told her as much; that she looked radiant and there was a certain glow in her face. She beamed with pleasure and gave me a quick hug. We were sitting on one of the closed curtain cabana-styled couches, overlooking the city and facing the swimming pool. The ambience was truly pleasant and romantic. It was inching closer to 9 in the evening and the moon was in its crescent-shaped infancy phase. The sky was clear and the moon was visible with lots of stars. As I made her watch, she seemed to relax in my arms. My hand was on her shoulder and we were laid back a little on the couch, staring at the sky. The heavens seemed more active than ever before and the thought going through my mind must have reflected out loud, as she glanced at me and looked deep into my eyes.

No comments: