Thursday, March 19, 2009

Part 10

Well, to be honest I have no idea whether I had the smile throughout the night or not, but when I woke up it was like a brand new day. The room looked original and I could sense the freshness in the air. Maybe it was just happiness or perhaps it was something else, but it felt incredible.
My hand automatically stretched towards my cell phone and it was blank. Without giving it a second thought I got to my feet and freshened up. My mind was filled with many feelings about the night before, but it felt nice.
I waited for a call or text. Nothing happened over the next hour, so I called her. She was at work and I will have to wait till the evening. The entire day passed over with an agonizing slowness. It’s very difficult to describe the entire situation. Some people might call it love and others might blame it on the sheer knowledge of achieving something, but I would rather think it was contentment: the pleasure of being liked, especially by the opposite sex.
For me, love will always remain a pure aspect of our earthly lives. Of course it’s my thought and I could be wrong, but I consider it the purest phase, as it filters all the impure thoughts of our minds and brings out a character within us, which nowadays has become quite rare in some form or the other. Most of our mistakes happen because of it and we are also at our best when in its fold. Its grip is so strong on us that we do things we couldn’t imagine otherwise. I ask forgiveness if I have offended someone or brought about a certain memory in mind so as to feel depressed. But it’s the memories we have, that will decide our fates and last us till the end.
What I think we had, was affection and respect for each other and sense of trust, to be happy together. Old fashioned or conservative folks claim that what we did was a sin and I will surely go to hell for it, but I believe it’s their judgment and our mind does what it chooses to do. Also I do wonder how some people believe in hell, when I don’t think anyone has received a communication from there or we would have heard it by now.
In the evening she called. We talked and laughed and laughed and talked. During such moments time is of little value and you forget the more important things. She giggled like a college girl in love for the first time and can’t say I was any different. I again asked her out but this time she was tired. I could feel it in her voice and suggested maybe she should take a break. After all she was working everyday, whereas I was a good for nothing goon. She agreed and we decided to stay up late and talk a little and sleep rather than go out. She hung up after a while and I headed to my gym.
The first thing the guys noticed was probably the cheerfulness on my face. I had a stupid smirk on and was walking in with an attitude of a super successful business tycoon. They assumed it had to be a girl or I wouldn’t be normal. Hence the enquiries started and it took me 10 minutes to tell them briefly about her. They were all closeted around me as a football team discussing the first onslaught on the opposition. Sometimes I used to think if I act the same when someone else is in my place, the answer might probably be yes, but I don’t know for sure as I choose not to remember. It’s easier that way. It’s also amazing that we deny being interested in someone else’s life and yet we are incredibly concerned in knowing about them, albeit in a subtle way. After all being subtle is a talent in itself. Sarcastic *smile*
The workout was unlike anything I had achieved before. It was a minor achievement of sorts for me. Each new day was a challenge in the gym and I was scrapping through with effort, but that day, it was downright championship body building. I felt like a new man and was thinking how it would be wonderful, to be this glad everyday. All will be happy and we could lead wonderful lives. The thought passed as quickly as the next set. Content with the weight lifting, I met up with some friends later for a cup of coffee and went back home a little after ten.
Having had dinner and read two pages of a rather boring book, I called her. She picked up and immediately whistled through her day. I listened to her patiently. It was surprising to me, as being quite talkative myself I had now become quite a tolerant listener. You know what influence women have on us right?
Her work was going good and her friends were teasing her about me. I told her it was the same with me and we both became silent for a second. The moment passed and we both immediately smiled and hearing each other feeling blissful was like an intoxicating Long Island Iced Tea. She asked me if it was love and like an intelligent speaker addressing a crowd in a lecture theatre, I conveyed the meaning of love. She laughed at my address and made me realize that my leg was being pulled. My small brain took a little time to understand the full extent of the joke but the absurdity of the thought persisted. She felt the same and changed the topic though I took it in good spirits.
We spoke about the previous night and I sensed her flush on the phone. She smiled and said it was a crazy night and one she hadn’t experienced before. I asked what she felt about it. She continued smiling and whispered that she would do it again, anytime I wanted and not with me standing outside the window, but inside ...with her.

No comments: